Headache is pain in the head or in different parts of head. You can experience it above your eyes, on temples, middle of head, on either side of head, behind the head, above upper neck, etc. Usually, headaches are considered normal, since all you need is a single painkiller. However, some headaches are serious than others.
There are two categories of headaches – primary and secondary. Primary headaches include – migraine, tension and cluster headaches. Secondary headaches on the other hand are associated with different health conditions. For instance, headaches due to stroke, tumors, caffeine withdrawal, etc.
Consulting a doctor for your headaches
If you are suffering from a chronic headache, it is recommended that you visit Miami headache institute and take a physician’s opinion. If this is your first time, following are some practical suggestions on how to discuss the details of headache with your doctor and thereby make most out of your first visit.
You must start by giving the exact and honest details about yourself. This way the doctor will be able to understand your lifestyle and situation better and will be able to recommend a suitable treatment option. If your headache is hereditary, even discuss your family’s medical history with the doctor.
Next, it is important that you ask as many questions as you have in mind without any hesitation. After all, you can only recover from a condition if you know it well.
Details you must provide to your doctor:
- When did you experience your first headache?
- Where do you experience the pain?
- What does the headache feel like?
- In your opinion what triggers your headache?
- How often do you suffer from headaches?
- What do you do to relive the headache?
- Do you take any over the counter medicine, if yes, how often?
Questions you must ask your doctor:
- What is causing these headaches?
- What tests I must get done?
- Aren’t over the counter medicines sufficient?
- Are the medications I am taking could be causing the headaches?
- What are my treatment options?
- If you are diagnosed with a particular condition, ask how often will I get headaches?
- Can I prevent my headaches in any way?
- Are there any lifestyle changes which I can make to help my headaches?
- Will there be any side effects of the medicine you are prescribing?
Cooperating with your doctor
Understanding the exact cause of your headaches will take some time. Don’t get impatient and start taking many different opinions. Have faith in your doctor and give them the time they need. Maintain proper communication with your doctor and follow every step he suggests. In addition:
- Don’t quit taking the prescribed medications
- If the prescribed medication is causing side effects, inform your doctor immediately.
- Always study your test results and try to understand it well. Ask for your doctor’s help in doing so.
However, in the end if you aren’t satisfied with the diagnostics or medications of your doctor, feel free to take a second opinions. Most of the doctors will be glad to help you in acquiring a second opinion or if needed a specialty consultation.